Thursday, November 15, 2012

What I've learned in 34 years...

Here we are...34 years old.  I still think I'm at least 23...and most of the time I act like I'm 18...and some days, it totally chaps my hide that I'm supposed to be a responsible adult and contributing citizen.  33 was a wonderful year...full of crying babies, giggling toddlers, poopy diapers, card board boxes, moving trucks, paperwork...and most of all, LOVE.  So here you go...here's what I've learned...


  • God has a greater plan for your life than you could ever dream up...so, give it to him and just LIVE.  Enjoy your days and let the big man upstairs do the worrying.
  • Sometimes its OK to let a crying baby cry.  
  • In order to be a good parent, you need to put your own oxygen mask on first...if you don't, you won't be able to help anyone else.
  • Sometimes it's OK to ask for help.
  • Sometimes it's OK to accept help.
  • Most things are temporary...so, even if you are uncomfortable and have 20 fingers and 20 toes taking over your body...soon, they will come out.  Enjoy your pregnancy(ies), ladies.  One day you will miss that big belly.
  • A full night of sleep can cure most anything.
  • If the kids are going nuts and it's above freezing...take them outside and prepare yourself to be amazed at their attitude's transformation.
  • My children's laugh will cure any unpleasant mood of mine.
  • They are only little once...take a few extra minutes when you can snag them and cuddle.
  • Sleeping past 6:30 AM really isn't all that great, anyway.  Get up and enjoy your family.
  • Speak kindly.  (Note to self...REMEMBER THIS)
  • Most of the time, people have the right intentions...they just may be unable to communicate them in a way that makes you feel it.
  • Real friends are still there even if you can't have more than a 3 minute conversation without being interrupted...even if your short conversations span years :).
  • Sisters are the best friends you can ever have.
  • Cousins are a close 2nd.
  • Families can't be replaced.  Love yours...even on days you just want to hide under a rock.
  • It's OK to turn off the cell phone...and, sometimes, you SHOULD.
  • The seasons of life change much faster the older you get.  Take time to enjoy the craziness that surrounds you...all too soon these babies will be off to college and the house will be quiet once more.
There you have it, folks.  My words of wisdom for today.  My goal for this year is to enjoy my chaotic life and to just simmer down about the little stuff.  So, my floors are dirty and the sink is full of dishes.  So, the kids don't go to bed right on time.  When I'm gone, my kids aren't going to remember that our house was spotless 24/7 or that their clothes were always ironed...they are going to remember baking cookies, jumping in rain puddles, making mud pies, running and being crazy with their cousins.  Savor each moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment